Professors in the School of Computer Science and Engineering at NTU, together with their PhD students and research staff, explore topics in the exciting spectrum of Computer Science and Engineering to advance the state-of-the-art. Below is a brief overview of the core and emerging areas:
- Hardware & Embedded Systems: low-energy hardware, hardware acceleration, architecture-aware algorithms, reconfigurable computing, embedded sensing, multi-functional sensors, IP-enabled devices.
From left: A/P Vinod Prasad, A/P Nicholas Vun, A/P Douglas Maskell, Asst/P Anupam Chattopadhyay, Asst/P Lam Siew Kei and Prof Thambipillai Srikanthan.
Not in photo: Asst/P Arvind Easwaran and Asst/P Nachiket Kapre
- Cyber Security: data privacy, privacy-preserving analytics, malware analysis, formal systems verification, mobile device security, cyber attack attribution, dark web monitoring, botnet detection, encrypted data processing.
From left: Asst/P Lin Shang-Wei, A/P Adams Kong, Asst/P Liu Yang, A/P Ng Wee Keong and Asst/P Alwen Tiu Asst/P Alwen Tiu .
- Data Management & Analytics: spatio-temporal databases, graph-structured databases, big data analytics, predictive analytics, social media analytics, question-answer systems, sentiment analysis.
From left: A/P Hui Siu Cheung, A/P Sun Aixin, A/P Cong Gao
From right: A/P Xiao Xiaokui and A/P Sourav Bhowmick
Not in photo: Arijit Khan
- Computational Intelligence: cognitive and neuro systems, decision support systems, evolutionary, memetic and statistical learning, fuzzy systems, intelligent multi-agents, intelligent system and devices, machine learning and nature-inspired systems.
From left: Asst/P Sinno Pan, A/P Zhang Jie, Asst/P Bo An, Prof Tan Ah Hwee, A/P Sundaram Suresh, Prof Ong Yew Soon, A/P Quek Hiok Chai, A/P Jacek Mandziuk, Asst/P Erik Cambria, Prof Miao Chunyan and Asst/P Kelly Ke Yiping.
- Multimedia: computer vision, multimedia, image processing, video analytics, speech and signal processing, 3D geometric modeling, fringe pattern analysis, machine translation.
From left: A/P Cai Jianfei, A/P Lin Weisi, A/P Chng Eng Siong, A/P Chan Syin (OPE), A/P Cham Tat Jen, A/P Deepu Rajan and A/P Chia Liang Tien.
- Visual & Interactive Computing: human computer interaction, user experience design, augmented reality, avatar behavior modeling, serious gaming, gamification.
From left: A/P He Ying, A/P Alexei Sourin, Prof Seah Hock Soon, A/P Goh Wooi Boon, A/P Zheng Jianmin and A/P Qian Kemao.
- Computer Network & Communication: software defined networks, peer-to-peer networking, data-center networking, heterogeneous networks, mobile cloud computing, machine type communications (MTC), cognitive radio.
From left: A/P A S Madhukumar, A/P Lee Bu Sung, Francis, A/P Li Mo, A/P Yeo Chai Kiat, A/P Wang Ping, A/P Wen Yonggang, Asst/P Tan Rui, A/P Lau Chiew Tong and A/P Luo Jun.
Not in photo: A/P Dusit Niyato.
- Parallel & Distributed Systems: distributed systems/computing (collaborative technologies, p2p systems, sensor networks, theory and algorithms), high performance computing (grid and cloud computing, GPGPU, performance optimization and tools), and large scale simulation (agent-based simulation, decision support systems, virtual environments).
From left: Asst/P Elvis Liu Sze Yeung, Prof Cai Wentong, A/P Anwitaman Datta, A/P Tang Xueyan, Asst/P Fan Rui and Prof Sun Chengzheng
Not in photo: A/P Hsu Wen Jing
- Biomedical Informatics: diagnostic instrumentation, advanced medical imaging and visualization, physiological models, bioinformatics & computational biology, quantitative methods in medicine, healthcare information systems, security telemedicine & clinical data mining.
From left: A/P Kwoh Chee Keong, A/P Lin Feng, Prof Rajapakse Jagath and Asst/P Zheng Jie.
- Computing, People and Society: sentiment analysis, online social networks, digital assets management, e-government, digital consumer insights
- Internet of Things: human mobility patterns, inhabitant behavioral modeling, inhabitant privacy by design, computational social science, online social networks analytics, urban living design
- Sports Data Science: video capture & analytics, body-network design, big-data storage design, wearable sensors, light-weight drones design, motion and gait analysis, sports data analytics.
- Technologies for Elderly Living: multi-functional sensors, behavioral modeling, computer apps for healthy living, living habits pattern mining, data privacy, emotional health mining.